It’s no secret that smoking and other tobacco use has a detrimental effect on your health. You’re probably aware of the increased risks of lung cancer, heart disease, and respiratory disease. But did you know about the negative effects that tobacco can have on your oral health?
Long Term Consequences of Tobacco Use
- Oral Cancer – This is a biggie. Tobacco use significantly increases your risk of developing oral cancer. This cancer can be deadly, mostly because it often isn’t caught on time. At Chagrin Family Dental Care, we screen for signs of oral cancer at every examination.
- Periodontal Disease – Periodontal (gum) disease is linked to a number of common health conditions, and tobacco use both increases your risk of developing gum disease and speeds up its progress. Periodontal disease is the primary cause of lost teeth in American adults.
- Slower Healing – If you need an extraction or any other type of dental work, tobacco use will slow down the healing process. This is because the blood vessels constrict, preventing the blood flow necessary for proper healing. Additionally, the act of smoking can disturb the blood clot that forms after an extraction, which can lead to complications.
- Cosmetic Issues – Smoking and tobacco use stains both the teeth and the tongue. These stains are difficult to remove and seriously impact the appearance of your smile.
- Bad Breath – Combine bad breath from smoking with the bad breath of periodontal disease, and you’ve got a pretty foul situation.
Our Health Commitment to You in Chagrin Falls
As health professionals who care about your well-being, we want to help you in any way possible. If you are a tobacco user, talk to us. We are always happy to discuss your options. We recognize that quitting can be a challenge, but the overall improvement to your health will be so worth it. To make an appointment or to learn more, contact our office today at (440) 338-1711.