Complete and Partial Dentures in Chagrin Falls, OH
Missing teeth can have a serious impact on your quality of life.
If you are missing teeth, you’ve probably found yourself coping with one (or more) of the following problems:
- Difficulty enjoying the foods you used to love
- Frequent gum pain
- Additional loose teeth
- Changes in the shape of your face and the clarity of your speech
- Unfair judgments from those who buy into the stigma associated with missing teeth
- Missed opportunities
- Lower self-esteem
If you’re tired of living your life this way, call Chagrin Family Dental Care today to schedule a consultation with Dr. Brian Hivick to discuss your options for replacing your missing teeth and improving the appearance, health, and functionality of your smile.
How Dentures Can Help
Complete and partial dentures continue to be a popular option for replacing your teeth. They are typically less expensive than other replacement options and are often covered by insurance.
The technology used to create partial and complete dentures has improved considerably over the last decade. Blocky, fake-looking teeth set into cotton-candy pink gums are a thing of the past. Today’s dentures are designed to mimic the appearance of natural teeth. Teeth are cast individually and placed one at a time into the plastic base to create a more realistic appearance. Most people will never be able to tell that you are wearing dentures.
Dentures are also designed to fit better than in the past, as well. The improved fit reduces the need for denture adhesives and also considerably lowers the risk of your dentures slipping or sliding at precisely the wrong occasion.
While partials and dentures are designed to be removable, new models are now available that can be held in place with dental implants, combining the permanence of implants with the ease and lower cost of dentures.
Dentures or Partials?
Partials are used when you have missing teeth in one or more areas of your mouth but you still have a sufficient number of healthy teeth in between. When you are missing all of your teeth, complete dentures are necessary.
Different styles of dentures and partials are available to meet a wide range of needs. We’ll discuss your needs to help you determine the right option for replacing your missing teeth.
Caring for Dentures
When you have dentures or partials, proper care of your appliance is a necessity. Failure to care for your dentures can lead to a misshapen or damaged appliance, bad breath caused by bacteria buildup, and sores on your gums. At every appointment, we’ll examine your appliance to make sure that they are in excellent repair and fitting properly.
Basic care for your dentures involves five steps:
- Wash your appliance every day using an approved brush and cleanser. Using the wrong types of brushes or pastes to clean your dentures can cause scratching.
- Always keep your dentures moist when they are not in your mouth. Allowing your dentures to dry can cause them to warp.
- Wash and rinse your dentures in cool or lukewarm water. Hot water may cause the shape of your dentures to change.
- Use caution to avoid dropping your dentures. If you ever do drop your dentures, bring them in immediately - even if they don't appear damaged to you - so that we can check for damage that that may not be immediately apparent but will change the way your dentures fit.
- Never try to make adjustments to your dentures on your own. If your dentures aren’t fitting properly, give our office a call.
To learn more about dentures and partials and discuss your tooth replacement options, call Chagrin Falls dentist Dr. Brian Hivick today.